Vitamin C for the Treatment of Bacterial Vaginosis
One of the most exciting new benefits of Vitamin C is for BV (Bacterial Vaginosis), a common infection that plagues many women of all ages. Flora Power combines the power of vitamin C and Lactobacillus probiotics to prevent and treat BV and other imbalances of the vagina.
Let’s explore the benefits of Vitamin C and how it can support a healthy vaginal environment that is inhospitable to BV.
What is Bacterial Vaginosis?
BV, also known as nonspecific vaginitis, is the most common vaginal infection in women of childbearing age. At least three out of four of the following must be present for a BV diagnosis:
- Vaginal discharge
- Fishy odor
- Increased vaginal pH (lowered acidity of the vagina)
- Bacteria-laden cells in the vagina as seen under a microscope
Women with BV may also have a fever and vaginal itching or burning. Almost half of women with BV have no symptoms; however, the condition can be serious, leading to other pelvic infections and pregnancy complications. Having BV also increases a woman’s susceptibility to sexually transmitted diseases.
For these reasons, treatment is recommended for all women with BV and is especially important for pregnant women.
BV is related to an imbalance of bacteria in the vagina. Typically, protective organisms such as Lactobacilli create an acidic environment that makes it difficult for harmful bacteria to grow. However, when beneficial bacteria decrease in number, harmful bacteria can grow and multiply. These changes are accompanied by a decrease in the natural acidity of the vagina and symptoms associated with BV.
Many things can disrupt the balance of the vaginal flora, increasing the risk of developing BV. These include birth control pills, IUDs, multiple sexual partners, anti-fungal medications used to treat vaginal yeast, poor diet, and more.
Vitamin C and the Treatment of BV
In lieu of harsh antibiotics, here are a few simple ways Vitamin C makes a difference in treating BV.
- Increases Acidity. Vitamin C applied locally to the vagina increases the acidity of the vagina, potentially inhibiting the growth of bacteria associated with BV. Vitamin C has been shown to lower the vaginal pH, making it more acidic and creating a terrain that makes it less suitable for the growth of harmful bacteria. This causes a reduction in bacteria-causing infection.
- Promotes Good Bacteria. Vitamin C also increases the growth of Lactobacillus and other “friendly microbes” found naturally in the vagina. The benefits of Vitamin C on the vaginal pH create a healthier vaginal microbiome.
- Boosts Immunity. Vitamin C has multiple benefits on immunity, and it helps strengthen vaginal immunity as well. Vitamin C helps restore the epithelial barrier of the vaginal lining, protecting it from microbes. Vitamin C also helps produce immune cells such as macrophages and neutrophils, which help kill and remove harmful bacteria.
- Reduces Inflammation. Redness and irritation are common and annoying side effects of a BV infection. Vitamin C has antioxidant and inflammatory benefits that help restore healthy vaginal tissue that BV often disrupts. The antioxidant use of Vitamin C helps round up free radicals caused by toxins produced by harmful bacteria, all while reducing inflammation and irritation.
- Promotes Collagen Production. Enhancing and regenerating collagen in vaginal tissue makes it plumper, stronger, and moister. This is essential for creating a lining that is healthy and protective against microbial imbalances leading to infection. A healthy vaginal lining also helps to reduce the most uncomfortable BV symptoms, such as redness, pain, irritation, and itching.
A Healthier Alternative
BV is a common condition that plagues women and disrupts their feminine health. Traditional medical treatment has many side effects, is not tolerated well, and may lead to recurrent infections.
As the newest alternative to treatment, Vitamin C should be considered first! It is safe, well-tolerated, and effective as a healing treatment for Bacterial Vaginosis—that’s a total win.
Shop Our Founder's Favorites Wellness Products
Support healthy brain function and mental clarity*$22.49 Subscribe & Save$29.99 One-time Purchase
A blend of probiotics and nootropics to help support brain function, cognitive health, and help maintain a healthy mood and sense of calm.* HOW IT ...View full details$22.49 Subscribe & Save$29.99 One-time PurchaseSale Sale
Healthy gut = healthy you$62.99 Subscribe & Save$83.99 One-time Purchase
Beat bloat with this combo of fiber, digestive enzymes, and probiotics that naturally boost your gut health.* gut, bloating, gas, reflux, probiot...View full details$62.99 Subscribe & Save$83.99 One-time PurchaseSale Sale
Probiotics for all your parts*$64.49 Subscribe & Save$85.99 One-time Purchase
A healthy dose of probiotics for your skin, gut, vagina. A $85 value! HOW IT WORKS This trio supports your gut in processing preservatives in food...View full details$64.49 Subscribe & Save$85.99 One-time PurchaseSale Sale
Balance yeast and bacteria in a pinch$29.99 Subscribe & Save$39.99 One-time Purchase
Balance yeast and bacteria in a pinch. A $40 value! HOW IT WORKS This confidence-boosting pair of vaginal suppositories keeps yeast and bacteria i...View full details$29.99 Subscribe & Save$39.99 One-time PurchaseSale Sale
A treat for your V$39.74 Subscribe & Save$52.99 One-time Purchase
For vaginal & urinary tract health. HOW IT WORKS Together, this powerful duo supports your vaginal health by balancing bacteria and yeast. Go...View full details$39.74 Subscribe & Save$52.99 One-time PurchaseSale Sale
Gentle intimate hygiene$11.24 Subscribe & Save$14.99 One-time Purchase
A fragrance-free, totally gentle cleanser for your vulva. HOW IT WORKS Our OB/GYN-approved cleanser gently cleans the vulva (the external genita...View full details$11.24 Subscribe & Save$14.99 One-time PurchaseSale Sale