– Post by Love Wellness Advisor: Dr. Francis. Join the discussion and read more on The Love Club
“Leaky Gut Syndrome” is a degeneration or breakdown of the GALT. It’s a bit of a misnomer because it affects not just the stomach wall but also the entire GALT lining in the respiratory, digestive, urinary, and reproductive systems. What would cause this breakdown of the GALT? Medicines such as antibiotics, steroids, pain medicine, birth control pills; lifestyle factors including stress, recreational drugs, and alcohol; and food sources such as sugar, caffeine, artificial sweeteners, and food additives. The list goes on and on. Modern life can challenge our GALT. Stress speeds this process because it releases a hormone called cortisol, which also weakens this lining.
Leaky gut is tough to diagnose, and many conventional practitioners question its validity. That said, if you experience several of the symptoms below, I suggest you see your doctor. There’s a chance that leaky gut syndrome could be undermining your immunity and your overall health.
- Frequent respiratory conditions like colds, flu, allergies, sinus, asthma, bronchitis, and more
- Persistent digestive problems like gas, bloating, constipation, sensitivity and intolerance to foods, diarrhea, nausea, irritable bowel syndrome, heartburn, and acid reflux
- Skin conditions like rashes, eczema, acne, and psoriasis
- Urinary tract infections
- Reproductive organ infections such as herpes, yeast infections, and human papillomavirus (HPV) •
- Fatigue, malaise, brain fog, and headaches
Leaky gut syndrome is also linked to an increased chance of developing an autoimmune disease or general inflammation in the body. When GALT breakdown is at a late stage, you may experience many or all of these issues at some point. Most of us have some of these symptoms simply because we’re living in modern times.