Boric Acid for Yeast Infection
For many women, yeast infections are an uncomfortable, irritating reality. But what if we told you there was a natural way to treat your symptoms?
That's right — boric acid has been used as an effective remedy for yeast infections and other fungal issues for centuries. Let's take a closer look at this alternative treatment and explore how it can help you.
What Is a Yeast Infection?
Yeast infections are caused by Candida albicans, a bacteria that exists naturally as part of your natural vaginal flora. Medically known as vulvovaginal candidiasis, yeast infections occur when the beneficial balance of bacteria and yeast in the body is thrown off, leading to an overgrowth of yeast.
This imbalance can cause a number of uncomfortable symptoms, such as:
- Itching, swelling, irritation, or a burning sensation in the genital area
- Redness and swelling of the vagina and vulva
- Painful urination
- Thick, white vaginal discharge (often compared to cottage cheese)
- Painful intercourse
- Unusual odor
If you experience any of these symptoms, there's a chance that you're dealing with a yeast infection. However, there are plenty of other conditions that can mimic a yeast infection.
These can include:
- Bacterial vaginosis (BV)
- Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs)
- Sexually transmitted infections (STIs)
If you think you have a yeast infection, it's a good idea to consult your healthcare provider for proper medical advice. Also, recurrent vaginal yeast infections can be a sign of an underlying women’s health condition. In these cases, your preferred healthcare professional may prescribe more substantial yeast infection treatments to preserve your vaginal health and wellness.
What Causes Yeast Infections?
Most yeast infections occur due to an overgrowth of Candida, a type of fungus found naturally in the vagina. When Candida outgrows its normal levels, it can cause a yeast infection.
Certain factors can make you more susceptible to Candida overgrowth and thus lead to a yeast infection.
These can include:
- Hormonal changes: Some hormonal contraceptives, such as birth control pills, can alter the pH balance of the vagina, making it easier for Candida to grow.
- Antibiotic use: Antibiotics can kill the beneficial bacteria that keep candida in check. Therefore, taking antibiotics can lead to an overgrowth of Candida and a yeast infection.
- Weakened immune system: Having an immune system that's not functioning properly can make it harder for your body to keep Candida in check. This can lead to a yeast infection.
- Poor diet and lifestyle choices: An unhealthy diet and lifestyle, such as excessive consumption of sugar and alcohol, can also increase Candida levels and lead to a yeast infection.
What Is Boric Acid?
Boric acid is a naturally-occurring compound commonly used in a variety of industries. It has been used for centuries to treat various medical conditions, including yeast infections.
In medical settings, boric acid is used as a suppository, which is inserted into the vagina via an applicator to help fight the infection. You can also purchase boric acid powders or creams, which can be used topically on the skin or in the vagina.
Boric acid vaginal suppositories and boric acid capsules are available over the counter at most drugstores. You can typically find them in the same aisle as tampons and other women’s health products, or skip the line and order them on our website.
How Can Boric Acid Help With Yeast Infections?
Simply put, the use of boric acid can help address Candida and other fungal infections. It can also help to support the balance of good bacteria in the vagina and regulate pH levels.
This can help to soothe discomfort, itching, and other symptoms associated with yeast infections. Additionally, the effects of boric acid can help minimize the risk of future yeast infections when used regularly by fighting off Candida overgrowth.
How Effective Is Boric Acid?
Boric acid has been shown to be effective in supporting your body’s defenses against candidiasis and other fungal infections. However, it's important to understand that boric acid can cause some unwanted side effects — such as irritation and burning — if used incorrectly.
How Can You Use Boric Acid To Help With a Yeast Infection?
Now that you understand what boric acid is, let's go over how to use it to soothe a yeast infection.
First, it's essential to use boric acid only as directed by your healthcare provider. This can help ensure that you don't experience any adverse reactions.
If you're using boric acid suppositories, such as The Killer®, they should be inserted vaginally at night, before bed. The recommended dosage is one 600mg capsule inserted vaginally every night for two weeks. Be sure to wear a pad or panty liner, as the suppositories can leak or cause staining on your clothing.
If you're using boric acid as a cream or powder, it can be applied to the affected area two to three times a day. You should start to see results within a few days of starting the treatment.
It's important to note that boric acid is not intended for long-term use, so you should stop using it once your symptoms have subsided.
What Are Alternative Treatments for Yeast Infections?
There are a variety of other treatments available for yeast infections, including natural and over-the-counter remedies. Natural remedies such as yogurt and garlic may help with symptoms of yeast infections and promote the natural balance of bacteria in the vagina.
Though these treatments can be effective, they may not be as effective as boric acid. Boric acid is a more powerful agent and can help to quickly restore the balance of bacteria in the vagina.
However, it's important to discuss all of the available treatment options with your healthcare provider to decide which one is best for you.
How Can You Avoid Yeast Infections?
Although boric acid treatment is a fantastic way to kick yeast infections to the curb, it's also important to practice prevention when you can.
Here are a few tips to keep Candida at bay:
- Wear loose-fitting clothes. Tight clothing can create an environment that Candida thrives in, so opt for loose-fitting clothes made of natural fibers instead.
- Avoid antibiotics when possible. Antibiotics can disrupt the balance of bacteria in your body, leading to disrupted vaginal pH and potential Candida overgrowth. But if you do decide to take an antibiotic, it’s generally best to pair it with a powerful probiotic like our Gut Feelings Probiotics®.
- Stay hydrated. Drinking enough water can help flush Candida from your body and keep Candida levels in check.
- Eat healthy. A diet rich in whole foods and probiotics can help to support healthy Candida levels. Avoid sugary or processed foods as they can feed Candida and lead to flare-ups.
- Take probiotics. Probiotics are beneficial bacteria that help to maintain the natural balance of bacteria in the vagina. With this in mind, it's easy to see how taking a probiotic supplement like Good Girl Probiotics® each and every day can help to prevent Candida overgrowth.
The Bottom Line
When it comes to treating yeast infections, boric acid reigns supreme. Before introducing it to your wellness routine, however, we recommend consulting your doctor first to rule out more serious disorders.
With that said, understanding why boric acid works so well and how to use it effectively can help ensure that you get back to feeling your best, fast. So, if you suspect that you may have a yeast infection, consider giving boric acid a try. Just insert your suppository, enjoy a good night’s sleep, and reap the vaginal health benefits.
Shop Our Founder's Favorites Wellness Products
Alleviates bloating fast*$8.99 One-time Purchase
A blend of digestive enzymes and herbs that alleviates bloating fast.* - Gluten-Free & Dairy-Free - Take 1-2 capsules after a meal or before b...View full details$8.99 One-time PurchaseSale Sale
Supports vaginal & urinary tract health*$16.99 One-time Purchase
- 7-day supply — perfectly sized to take on the go so you can keep your routine up when you’re not at home! - Good Girl Probiotics®: Helps to maint...View full details$16.99 One-time PurchaseSale Sale
Supports vaginal & urinary tract health*$35.24 Subscribe & Save$46.99 One-time Purchase
For vaginal & urinary tract health. HOW IT WORKS Together, this powerful duo supports your vaginal health by balancing bacteria and yeast. Go...View full details$35.24 Subscribe & Save$46.99 One-time PurchaseSale Sale
Helps support brain function*$22.49 Subscribe & Save$29.99 One-time Purchase
A blend of probiotics and nootropics to help support brain function, cognitive health, and help maintain a healthy mood and sense of calm.* - Vegan...View full details$22.49 Subscribe & Save$29.99 One-time PurchaseSale Sale
Helps boost your gut health*$54.74 Subscribe & Save$72.99 One-time Purchase
Beat bloat with this combo of fiber, digestive enzymes, and probiotics that naturally boost your gut health.* gut, bloating, gas, reflux, probiot...View full details$54.74 Subscribe & Save$72.99 One-time PurchaseSale Sale
Gently cleanses your vulva$11.24 Subscribe & Save$14.99 One-time Purchase
A fragrance-free, gentle cleanser for your vulva to help maintain a balanced vaginal microbiome. - Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Vegan - Apply to wet s...View full details$11.24 Subscribe & Save$14.99 One-time PurchaseSale Sale
Gently cleanses your vulva$4.99 One-time Purchase
A fragrance-free, gentle cleanser for your vulva to help maintain a balanced vaginal microbiome. - Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Vegan - Apply to wet s...View full details$4.99 One-time PurchaseSale Sale