What is Lactobacilli?
Lactobacilli is a type of bacteria that lives inside the vagina and plays an important role in keeping the vagina healthy and free of infection.
Causes of lactobacilli imbalance
- Antibiotic use
- Unprotected sex
- Changes in hormones
- Having a period
- Not maintaining good hygiene habits
Signs of an lactobacilli imbalance
- Fish odor
- Bacterial Vaginosis (BV)
- Yeast infections
How does lactobacilli restore vaginal health?
- Lactobacillus acidophilus is the most-researched strain of probiotic when it comes to establishing and maintaining a healthy vaginal balance
- Two other important strains include lactobacillus rhamnosus and lactobacillus reuteri
- These strains maintain vaginal balance by sticking to vaginal surfaces and making it more challenging for harmful bacteria to grow
- Lactobacillus also adheres directly to harmful bacteria, killing them and preventing them from spreading
Being mindful about probiotic supplements
- There are no known health risks associated with probiotics
- When taking probiotics, it’s important to reduce sugar intake to assist with reducing the growth of harmful bacteria, further supported by eating a balanced diet
- Various studies have shown that taking lactobacillus daily can positively improve vaginal flora