What is Aloe Vera?
Aloe vera is a succulent plant best known for its medicinal uses including healing burns, reducing dental plaque, treating mouth ulcers, reducing constipation, lowering blood sugar levels and more recently, forming the base of personal lubricants that are healthy for women.
Why is aloe vera the best personal lubricant for women?
- It doesn’t contain harsh or dangerous chemicals (see below)
- Aloe vera adds hydration and reduces skin irritation
- It’s water-based, so unlike the oils, it's safe to use with condoms
- With its antifungal properties, aloe vera can reduce the risk of developing Bacterial Vaginosis (BV) and other vaginal infections
What about conventional lubricants?
- The majority of conventional lubricants contain glycerin, petrochemicals, and parabens - ALL of which have been recognized by the World Health Organization (WHO) as posing serious health risks to women, our partners and our potential future children
- In addition to containing toxic chemicals, many commercially available lubricants have pH levels (acidity levels) far exceeding the natural pH level of the vagina, as well as high osmolality rates (the rate at which a substance draws moisture from tissues and cells) which significantly disrupt the vaginal microbiome causing yeast and Bacterial Vaginosis (BV) infections
- In addition to yeast infections and BV, high pH levels caused by unsafe lubricants break down the mucus membrane barrier - which helps protect the vagina from STIs
- Recent research indicates that many lubricants on the market can also have both immediate and long term detrimental effects on the vaginal tissue itself
- There is a growing consensus among the scientific community that not enough care has been taken to design lubricants that are truly safe and healthy, and the vast majority of lubricants need to be reformulated
Being mindful about aloe vera
- Generally, aloe vera is well-tolerated, though skin irritations and allergic reactions are possible so pay attention to how your body responds - especially if you are allergic to garlic, onions or tulips
- Always buy from aloe-based lubricants from a reputable brand to ensure safety and quality
- Some aloe-based products contain harsh ingredients like alcohol
- Women who are pregnant or breastfeeding should avoid the oral use of aloe vera